Cabinetry & Construction, Inc.
Added on -, by Reviewer1240919
Review: Hired C&C to redo my condo unit. The result was numbing. Here are some of the things I walked into...
- kitchen was not as planned: space between refrigerator and stove was to be 21" (got less than 19"); have 3 cabinets (next to microwave) instead of 2, plus the 3 cabinets are not aligned with the other cabinets; dishwasher doesn't appear straight; rubbish bin was replaced 2x, neither was what I requested; granite has scratches due to its softness, something I should have been warned about.
- laundry room cabinet was to have 4 equal sized drawers. I have 3 small drawers and 1 large.
- new floor has dents and some boards should never have been used.
- bathroom: new double doors don't have a lock; vanity shelves wobble; mirror frame wasn't stained to match cabinet.
- door handles were only to be replaced if the interior entrance can be replaced without affecting the exterior entrance. I now have 2 different handles in my small unit.
- new window sills have cracks.Desired Settlement: I'd like C&C to hire a contractor, who can be trusted and stands behind his product, to fix C&C's shoddy work in my unit. Too many things occurred for me to trust C&C.
Response to Revdex.com Case #******** "kitchen was not as planned: space between refrigerator and stove was to be 21" (got less than 19")" The existing kitchen had a laundry closet (stackable units) that was to be demolished as part of the project. After demolition, the cabinet sizes had to be adjusted. The length of the cabinet run was limited due to the location of trim on the doorway, and it needed to align with the length on the peninsula side. So one of the cabinet sizes had to be adjusted, and the solo cabinet between the refrigerator and the stove made the most sense to adjust. The broom closet was at the minimum width the manufacturer would allow. The exterior wall was out of plumb, which meant a filler had to be used beside the broom closet. "Have 3 cabinets (next to microwave) instead of 2" If we had used two doors as initially planned, the door size was over the manufacturer's guarantee against warpage. CCI President had a lengthy discussion on December 22 with the client about this and we believed the issue to be resolved to her satisfaction. We can order two cabinet doors as initially planned, but they will not be under the manufacturer's warranty. "Plus the three cabinets are not aligned with the other cabinets" I think this means that having three doors above doesn't align with having two base drawer cabinets. If we had changed the drawer base cabinets to be three cabinets and line up with the three doors above (adjacent to the microwave), those drawers would not have had much usable space. As noted above, we can change to upper cabinets doors from three to two and then the two doors will align with the two base cabinets, but those two doors will have no warranty. "dishwasher doesn't appear straight" See provided photos The dishwasher was from the original condo conversion and was reused. The dishwasher was installed as is and all effort was made to align it properly so that it looks straight when it is closed. When it is open the side does not look straight (see photos). Perhaps the tub (interior) or sides of the tub had always been warped. We have no way of knowing. "rubbish bin was replaced 2x, neither was what I requested" The first rubbish bin was what the client selected from the cabinet manufacturer (the bin was top-mounted, meaning the bin drops in to the mount); however she was unable to find trashbags that fit, so we replaced it as requested in her punchlist (Dec. 22, 2014). Until receiving this Revdex.com complaint, we did not know the client had a problem with this replacement bin. "granite has scratches due to its softness, something I should have been warned about" 1 Response to Revdex.com Case #******** The client picked out the granite while working with another contractor. Other than in photographs no one at CCI had seen the stone in person. The granite selected, Black Fantasy, is an exotic granite, which we had not used on a job prior to the job at issue in this complaint, nor had the granite fabricator used the stone in the past. The client complained to the granite supplier about this issue. The CCI office manager spoke to the supplier's manager after he received the complaint, and he said that they had sold Black Fantasy in the past and had never had any complaints about the softness of the stone. It is our understanding that the granite supplier offered to provide the client with Absolute Black granite at a reduced cost. The granite fabricator provided us with a cost to refabricate and install the counters with Absolute Black. The granite fabricator never received a price from the granite supplier that reflected a reduced cost for the client, but provided the price of $4500 to supply and install so that the client could determine a budget. The fabricator said if she bought the stone from the supplier directly, the cost would be less. (email dated March 3, 2015) There was no reduction in the cost of fabrication as there were no errors on the fabricator's part. The fabricator worked with the slabs the client had selected. The CCI office manager discussed with the client living with the granite for a while to see if she really wanted to replace it, since replacement could be done at any time and would incur a cost to her. Until receiving the Revdex.com complaint, we assumed the client had decided to keep Black Fantasy counters rather than incur the cost to replace the counters. Our office manager attempted to reach the client by phone to discuss granite, and left a message on March 5, 2015 at 12:37 pm. She received no response. Our office manager assumed the client had decided to wait to replace the stone. "laundry room cabinet was to have 4 equal sized drawers. I have three small drawers and one large." The laundry cabinet elevation drawing does show four equal sized drawers, which is not the standard drawer cabinet configuration; the current drawer configuration matches the kitchen drawer configuration. The client did not express dissatisfaction with the current configuration to CCI until we saw the Revdex.com complaint. If the client wishes, CCI can arrange to have custom drawers fabricated ( 4 equal sized drawer fronts and drawer boxes to fit the existing cabinet; the cabinet box will not need to be removed). "new floor has some dents and some boards should never have been used" Wood floors do dent. If the dents required repair or some of the boards require replacement that can be arranged. An extra box of the prefinished flooring was left in the client's storage unit. We can have our flooring contractor look at the flooring and discuss it. We follow the Residential Construction Performance Guidelines from the National Association of Home Builders (section 11-3-11): Performance Guideline: At the time of substantial completion of the project, hardwood flooring will not have scratches and dents visible from a standing position. Corrective Measure: The contractor will repair flooring in the affected areas to meet the performance guideline. 2 Response to Revdex.com Case #******** Discussion: The wide varieties of hardwood flooring available to consumers have varying hardness and wear resistance. The contractor is not responsible for the choice of a softer material that may be more susceptible to damage during or after construction. High-heeled shoes, pets, and heavy foot traffic will create scratches and dents in most hardwood floors. "bathroom: new double doors don't have a lock" The option install a lock on the double doors was discussed with the client. The options was to make one door stationary by installing surface mounted flush bolts to one side and a lock to the other. The client rejected this option and said, "I live alone; this [bathroom] is in my bedroom. I can lock my bedroom door ifl need to." Should the client desire, CCI would be glad to have a surface mounted bolt installed (or a hook and eye). "vanity shelves wobble" This is the first time CCI has heard of this issue. They can be adjusted. "mirror frame was not stained to match cabinet." Part of the project was to change one bath to a laundry room; consequently one mirror was removed. We used that mirror frame to test stain samples for refinishing the mirror frame that was to be kept in the master bath. Because of the different woods (the mirror moulding and sides of medicine cabinet were made of a different materials), the original finish was actually the closest color to the one of the new vanity cabinet color (sangria).We apologize for not explaining this to the client, leading her to believe there was an oversight. "door handles were only to be replaced if the interior entrance can be replaced without affecting the exterior entrance. I now have two different handles in my small unit." The client emailed a picture of a lever handle that she wished to use throughout her condo shortly after she began a long trip: I am checking on whether my door handles can be replaced. Ideally, they'd be a straight lever. I'm not sure if this is doable because the exterior entrance handle can't be changed. Ideally, internally all handles will be just horizontal bar, no curves. (email dated October 26, 2015). At no time did the client say that if the doors could not all have the handles replaced, that none should be replaced, only that "ideally" all would be able to be replaced. The existing lever handle used throughout the condo is a brand that didn't offer an alternative interior handle, so the old interior handle for the exterior door set had to be kept. This was discussed with the client and the change order she approved via email (as she was traveling at the time) explicitly states that the exterior set was not going to be changed. The text of our change order says 3 Response to Revdex.com Case #******** Labor and material to replace all handles except main condo door with lever handles The client paid for the change order on December 30, 2014, after seeing the door handles installed. "window sills have cracks" In the design process the client expressed a desire for new window trim, consequently, new bullnose trim was added to the original sill (which is 150 years+/- old). The cracking is probably due to seasonal expansion and the different ages of the wood. CCI would be willing to have someone repaint the window sills. Everyone at Cabinetry & Construction, Inc. is dismayed to learn of the client's dissatisfaction. We thought that all issues had been resolved to her satisfaction, with the exception of the granite she chose. The client made no attempt to contact CCI to express dissatisfaction. We learned about it when we received this Revdex.com complaint.
I have reviewed the offer and/or response made by the business in reference to complaint ID *********- changes to specs as it concerns the space between refrig and stove from 21" to <19" should have been reviewed with me with options.- issues with granite should have been communicated with me via email or discussed with designer who was available in event of issues.- would like four equal sized drawers for the laundry room cabinet as planned, providing they are of same quality.- would like floor boards with dents replaced.- would like a standard door handle lock in bathroom. should have been done at time of door installation.- would like wobbly shelves in bathroom to be aligned. - door handle response is not accurate. I wanted new door handles only if they can be installed on the entrance door internally and not externally. was told it was doable. - painting new window sills with cracks didn't work before, so I don't see why it would again.- rubbish bin response was not accurate. I never ever wanted a top mounted. I always wanted a standard bin with cover.- I sent an email to C&C three weeks prior to Revdex.com, so there should not have been a surprise.
- changes to specs as it concerns the space between refrig and stove from 21" to <19" should have been reviewed with me with options.We believed that it would be preferable to keep the broom closet to the left of the refrigerator as opposed to maintaining the width ofthe counter as shown in our preliminary elevation drawing. The client sent an email after the end of the project (alluded to in the final item below) inwhich she explained further why the 21” was so important to her. In light of that, we should have discussed theoption of removing the broom closet cabinet with her, but when we made the judgment call to reduce the counter width and keep the broom closet, we did notknow that the counter width was of paramount concern for her. - issues with granite should have been communicated with me via email or discussed with designer who was available in event of issues.We did not know that the granite was unusually soft until after the client had moved back in. After the granite installation, the counters were covered with protective material and weren’t revealed again until just before the clientreturned. During the design phase of the job, the designer saw the granite the client chose. At no point in the process,prior to the client moving in, was there any indication that the granite was unusually soft. It was only after thecounter had been in use that its softness became apparent.- would like four equal sized drawers for the laundry room cabinet as planned, providingthey are of same quality.These will be ordered and installed as soon as possible.- would like floor boards with dents replaced.We will arrange for our flooring contractor to review theboards in question. It is important to note that any boards replaced will be “face nailed.” - would like astandard door handle lock in bathroom. should have been done at time ofdoor installation.As addressed in our initial response to the complaint,there is no locking door knob option for the double doors. One door would needto be made stationary temporarily. A standard lock would lock one handle but itdoesn’t prevent the other door from moving. Surface mounted bolts were discussed with the client as an option. Cabinetry & Construction, Inc. is willingto install a surface mounted bolt if the client wishes.- would like wobbly shelves in bathroom to be aligned. The wobbly shelves will be aligned.- door handle response is not accurate. I wanted new door handles only if they canbe installed on the entrance door internally and not externally. was told it was doable. We thought that having the internal handset to the main door changed would befeasible, but were told that the lock manufacturer did not provide the optionof changing the interior trim (levers or knobs). We did not understand that the client did notwant any handsets changed if that one lever could not be changed. This was a misunderstanding of the client’swishes. After consulting with the lock manufacturer’s technical support, we mayhave an option. The series of mortise lock on the client’s door doesn’t offer changeable interior trim, but the olderseries does. The older series is supposed to have the same internal works asthe locks on the client’s door. Therefore the trim (interior lever) for theolder series could be interchangeable with the series on the client’sdoor. We can not guarantee that the part will work, but we are willing to order it and try. The part is a special order.- painting new windowsills with cracks didn't work before, so I don't see why it would again. There is not another option besides paintingand caulking.- rubbish bin responsewas not accurate. I never ever wanted a top mounted. I always wanted astandard bin with cover.The one with the cover is top mounted and was the one the client selected from theaccessory catalog of the cabinet manufacturer. - I sent an email to C&C three weeks priorto Revdex.com, so there should not have been a surprise. After seeing this information in the rebuttal, we searched for this email and found that it had been directed to the Clutter folder in the President’s email account. Had we seen it, we would have called immediately to discuss the client’s concerns. Since the Revdex.com has begun this process, we have opted not to contact the client directly until its conclusion, but we regret greatly that we did not see thisemail when it was sent.