R & D Construction Co. Heating & Air Conditioning
Added on -, by Reviewer596493
Review: Dec 2007, R&D replaced our entire heating and A/C system for a total cost of $8551. We had a problem with the heat pump not working in Jan 2011 and they fixed it.
* Late November 2013, I contacted R&D Heating & Cooling to report that our heat pump stopped operating.
* 12/3/2013, a technician came out, told us that the filter needed to be replaced, charged $99 and we immediately replaced the filter, however, the same problem happened- the heat pump stopped working.
* Jan 6, 2014, I called again (after the holidays) and was told by the GM (not a technician) that the problem was with the thermostat.
* That same day (1/6/2014), I signed up for a new Preventative Maintenance Program which cost $160 and was told that the $99 for the 12/3/13 service call would be refunded since the unit was not fixed.
* 1/10/2014, a different technician came out, replaced the thermostat for $195 and the heat pump worked for one day then stopped.
* I called again 1/13/2014 and told the GM would call me right back.
* 1/14/2014, I emailed the GM to say I never received a call back and was told that the person who took my message wasn't at work on the 13th. After some discussion, the employee was there and the GM did get my message, but "was on a long distance call" and couldn't call me back. She also again said that the $99 would be refunded and that she thought that the problem was that the return was too close to the thermostat.
* 1/15/2014, the first technician returned with an assistant and by accident found that the defrost board needed to be replaced. Since it was not a thermostat problem, the old thermostat was replaced and the new one taken away. I was promised that I would be reimbursed the $195 for the thermostat.
* 1/15/2014, I received a voice mail message from the GM that the parts were on order and would be sent from a different location and that my check for $195 was in the mail that day.
*1/23/2014, I sent an email to the GM asking for the status of the $195 check and $99 refund. I did not receive a reply.
*1/24/2014, I received an email that I could make an appointment for the techs to install the parts. I replied, but did not hear back until 1/29/2014 when the GM informed me that the $99 refund promised would go towards labor to install the parts (which were covered under the warranty)
* 1/29/2014, the parts were installed and the invoice showed that there was to be "No Charge" for the labor. It did not state it was pre-paid. The note is "N/C". When I asked the technician what that meant, he said the GM said there would be no labor charges for installing the parts.
* The heat pump worked until 2/3/2014 when it stopped working.
I sent emails to the GM and the Owner on January 28th, 29th and 30th and received a email back from the Owner stating that the filter had not been changed in 7 years (it had been 1 year), not having the unit serviced (I had invoices that documented their service calls), and he then wrote that if I went through Angieslist.com's Complaint Resolution Process and forwarded his emails to them, I was to "be very careful for unwarranted deformation of character [defamation of character] can get very expensive." He also wrote that "at this juncture it is best that my company part ways with you...". Although he did not want to refund the $160 for the Preventative Maintenance Plan, he said it would take 10 business days (email dated 1/30/2104).
* 2/4/2014, I sent [redacted] an email stating that the heat pump was not working. I did not receive a reply.
* 2/7/2014, I sent [redacted] copies of the invoices showing that they did replace the filter and serviced the equipment after the dates he quoted to me. I did not receive a reply.
On their invoice, there is a warranty that states "all labor performed by the above named company [R&D Heating & Cooling] is warranted for 30 days or as otherwise indicated in writing."
They did return the original check (voided) for $195, but not the $99 as promised or the $160 for the Preventative Maintenance Plan that was terminated. The Owner has not responded to the Complaint Resolution Process through Angie's List and I have had to hire another service provider who found: mold in the unit (it was not new; it had been there for a while); an incorrect temperature setting; and a capacitor which was damaged. Now the motor has to be replaced because of the bad capacitor. Our heating bills have been astronomical due to the fact that we have been running on auxiliary heating coils which is very expensive to do.
A fair request is to be reimbursed the $99 and $160 as promised, the difference in the electric usage due to having to run on the auxiliary coils for over 3 months, and the charges of the new provider as I was told by the last R&D technician that they would have to call a Lennox technician to take a look at the unit since they didn't have any idea what was wrong with it. Lennox wanted a second opinion and that has cost us $180 for the first visit and an additional $277 for an upcoming visit to replace the motor.
Thank you for your time and I sincerely hope you can help me.Desired Settlement: I believe that a fair request is to be reimbursed the $99 and $160 as promised, the difference in the electric usage due to having to run on the auxiliary coils for over 3 months ($750 is a conservative figure), and the charges of the new provider to continue the repairs to the unit. I was told by the last R&D technician that they would have to call a Lennox technician to take a look at the unit since they didn't have any idea what was wrong with it. Lennox wanted a second opinion and that has cost us $180 for the first visit and an additional $277 for an upcoming visit to replace the motor. Until the unit is operating correctly, R&D should continue to reimburse for the repair costs of the new provider.
To date, the total for the above is $1,466. That figure does not include the UV lighting system we had to purchase for $700 to address the mold situation in the blower unit.
12/3/13 received phone call. Same day went out found 5" pleated filter totally clogged; which had not been replaced for a period of 4 yrs...resulting In undue stress and abuse on equipment. (see attachment on recommendation from filter manufacturer)- Homeowner opted to replace on their own. Unit ran for 5 weeks before next service call (Why should I be responsible for any of the homeowner's electric bill for December 2013? As asked for- due to lack of maintenance.)-Piease see manufacturer's recommendation on preventive maintenance. - 2"d call January 6th 2014 made appointment for preventive maintenance
for January 10th per homeowner. (see technician's work order #11644) Unit operating properly at this. 3rd Call 1/15/14 found defrost board and sensors bad...ordered thru Lennox 1/15-received parts by 1/28/14 and installed 1/29/14. This is a mechanical piece of equipment just as your car Is and I ask what did R&D Heating do to be responsible for paying any of the homeowner's electric bill for 2 months coming off the 3rd coldest winter since keeping records? Don't you think if Kristi Moore thought that she was deservant of the monies she is asking for, she would have taken me to court? She would not win in court, why should she win here Ill On January 29th, 2014 after fixing her equipment with the new parts, Ialso informed her at that time to find another hvac company, Now reading her desire settlement sent from the Revdex.com, she also now wants my company to pay for whatever the new company finds wrong. She owns this piece of equipment,this should be at her expense, not my company and as to the mold situation in the blower unit and the $700 for a UV light????? Again this Is her equipment
!I!I!! Now she wants her electric bill for 3 months (which now includes February) when on January 29th,
I informed her to find another hvac company . It is my belief that my company did absolutely nothing wrong other than provide fast & responsible service that Is required by my company. I hope that by reading my response you can see that this consumer is looking for anything and everything that she can receive for nothing. One last note, all the services provided by this company have been 100% free t'o her. Reimbursement of the $99.00 (dirty filter and lack of maintenance 12/3/13 see attached) and
$160.00 for the annual Preventive Maintenance Plan 2014 (which we preformed) will returned to her.